Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Ninth

Classical music lovers be warned! This post is NOT about the Ninth Symphony of Ludwig van Beethoven, often referred to as: The Ninth. For those of you not familiar with this piece of music, the ninth symphony is considered by some to be this composer’s greatest work. It is most interesting that Beethoven wrote this symphony while already being completely deaf. Another interesting fact is that this piece of music has been adapted for use as the European Anthem. Since this blog is about hippos, The Ninth in this case is the ninth hippo-painting of the collection. Mr. Monchai Kosolpradit has a shop: Cool Art, just across the shop of Mr. Pon (see post: Hippo Pon). I already noticed a very funny painting… 12 happy elephants, in all colors against a red background. I asked the artist if he could paint something similar… with hippos! No problem. Did I mind some T-shirts and shawls? I told him that was up to him as he is the artist. As you can see, he went all the way. I thought about calling this painting: Lien’s Twelve, but then I realized: The Ninth is a better name. The ninth symphony was based on a poem by Friedrich Shiller: Ode to joy! It is celebrating brotherhood, understanding and unity of all mankind. To me, this painting is an ode to joy and love for hippos, it just makes me smile, every time I see it. Ode to hippos!
      


No comments:

Post a Comment