Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Antonia & Elmo

A few posts ago, I mentioned how special privately-owned-hippo-donations are to me. This time, I would like to introduce you all to: Antonia and Elmo. Beautifully carved hippos, made of soapstone and of course now, within the collection, in the company of a very select few. This story is also about how sad moments can unexpectedly turn into very memorable and nice moments. About one and a half years ago our family left Indonesia. After living there for three and a half years, there was a lot we had to leave behind, besides dear friends, on the more practical side also some furniture. At that time we sold a lot of things, and that is the reason Antonia came to our house. Somehow it feels strange, to welcome people in your house when it is all empty and in moving-boxes-everywhere-super-chaos. When she left she noticed the cabinet with all the hippos... ready to be packed. "Ah" she said, "you like hippos, I have a few hippos at home". At that time, I did not think much of it, partly because of a very distracted mind (so much to do, and so little time), and partly because I was just happy to know more people own hippos. Evening came, and suddenly the doorbell rang. A gift bag was delivered, and I found 2 hippos inside, nicely wrapped. I still remember that moment: all sweaty and tired of packing and in a bit of a sad mood because we were leaving soon. That gift was not only a privately-owned-hippo-donation, it also melted away the sad mood and all the moving-stress. It made me feel so happy! Dear Antonia, as you gave them to me; I named the large one after you. I hope your husband does not mind the fact that the smaller one is named after him, or better said: is named after his nickname. I hope our paths will cross again someday. Thank you again, not only for a great surprise but most of all for these very fond memories!


No comments:

Post a Comment