Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Wood Cut on Silk Screen

The latest hippo-painting, is not really a painting. It is carved out of wood, then printed on a silk screen. Like "Hippo-Pon" and "The Ninth" this painting comes from the art section of the JJ Weekend Market. All the artists know me by now, and I think it will not take long before they will actually call me: khun hippo! Also funny to mention, there is one artist who makes wonderful paintings..... of (mainly floating) elephants, and elephants only! Of course I asked him already whether he could paint me a hippo, but he only wants to paint elephants..... His artist-friends make jokes about it every time I come visit. Unfortunately, I do not speak any Thai, but the message is clear: "you silly man.... just leave out the trunk and make the head a bit wider, and you have a hippo!!! What's your problem?" But no luck so far.... ;-). I am thinking about buying an elephant painting some day.... because I feel a bit sorry for him... being tormented by everybody every time I'm there. Fortunately for me, his colleague Mr. Sitthisak Natheechaichana did not mind to make some hipppo-art. He made 6 prints, and all are numbered, but I have the number 1/6 of course!!


No comments:

Post a Comment