Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Pema & Tashi

I also could have named this post: Two hippos from Tibet. Let me explain. During our holidays in Nepal, we came to know two ladies from Tibet. They were selling jewelry outside the hotel in Pokhara where we were staying. Our daughters loved to sit next to them, on their carpets and play with all the necklaces and bracelets, putting everything on themselves, and their teddy bears. We have had the privilege to visit the homes of these ladies. They live in a Tibetan Refugee Camp (Tashi Palkhiel), outside of Pokhara, but the term camp is a bit misleading, as it is more a permanent settlement, with a wonderful temple, school and carpet factory. In Pokara City there are many Tibetan shops, and one day I was just looking around. I was not looking for hippos, it actually did not even cross my mind.... but between a few singing bowls and some Buddha statues, I spotted these two bronze hippos. I could not believe my eyes... I do not know whether they were made in Nepal or Tibet, but since I bought them in a Tibetan shop, I like to believe they came from Tibet. I decided to name them after our Tibetan friends. Unfortunately we have not seen them for a long time. I hope all is well with them. I wish them "Tashi Delek" through cyber space.

No comments:

Post a Comment