Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Hippopotamus and the Pygmy Goat


A few months ago, I bought a wonderful book called: Unlikely Friendships (check out this link). This book is about interspecies friendships. Of the forty seven stories, two are about hippos. One story I already knew (see post: Owen and Mzee), a remarkable story about the friendship between an orphaned baby hippo called Owen and Mzee, a very old Aldabra giant tortoise. 

The other hippo-story was new to me. A friendship between (again) an orphaned baby hippo called Humphrey and a Cameroon mountain goat (also called a pygmy goat). I love the part of the story where they describe Humphrey trying to climb anything, imitating his dear friend. And just before Humphrey is transferred to a private reserve somewhere else, he was discovered to be.... a she! The whole book is an amazing read. But of course, the hippo stories are my favorite ones! 




No comments:

Post a Comment