Thursday, February 23, 2012

Hippo Widayanto

Time to confess another addiction, although not as severe as the hippo one. I love ceramics. Whether it is art objects, vases or dinner plates. Still looking for a hippo dinner set though! During our time in Indonesia, one of my favorite trips was to a  place called: Rumah Tanah Baru, Wisata Keramik, in Depok. The weekend home of Mr. Widayanto, a ceramic artist. Wonderful gardens with ceramic art everywhere, and of course a shop where you can buy pieces of his latest collection. And to my surprise, I saw the artist had made some hippos too. Some scary looking hippos I must add. I bought the one which looked least scary, going home without one was no option, obviously. Normally hippos carry hammerhead storks and cattle egrets on their backs, but the artist decided to put a cute looking frog on this one. I think it was his way of making the hippo look a little less scary..... In my display cabinet, I usually put this one with its head towards the wall, so everybody can enjoy a huge hippo-behind, with a frog catching autumn leaves.. dia ganteng sekali (he is very handsome)! Lina, thank you for providing the translation. I miss your great sense of humor and laughs a lot... but I will make sure I will come up with an excuse to keep in touch with you once in a while... with or without the help of handsome hippos!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment