Sunday, November 13, 2011

Moustache Mummy

The very first post has to be about the profile photo. Let me introduce you to: Dania. She lives in the Ragunan Zoo, Jakarta, Indonesia, together with daddy Jacky, sons Reno and Semar and daughter Donna. As I have become friends with their keepers, I have had the privilege to be allowed in parts of their enclosure which are normally off limits for visitors. It has always been so special to be able to touch them and help feed them (they love sweet potatoes) and make millions of photo's. Unfortunately I do not live so close to them anymore, but this summer I had the chance to visit them during a short holiday. For the first time, I could even step into the cage and come close to the edge of the water. The keeper asked Dania to open her mouth, which she always happily does, and I could take this great photo of her. Although I was a bit scared, and hurried back behind the steel fence as soon as I could, I will never forget that moment. If you are in Jakarta, and you have the chance to go to the Zoo, don't forget to pay this hippo-family a visit!

1 comment: