Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Hippos by Jaap Venema

I already introduced the first hippo statue of my collection (see post: The First). Now it is about time, I share with you my first hippo painting that I got as a present in 1998. I am a very proud owner of twelve great hippo paintings, of which eleven are made especially for me, including this one. A few of them can already be found on my blog (see posts: Hippo Pon and The Ninth). At that time, my then boyfriend, now husband, did tell me his uncle was an artist, but he did not tell me that he had asked him to paint a hippo for me. And so his uncle did.... not one hippo, but a whole bloat! Best surprise ever! I was collecting hippos already for some years, but I did not have a painting, yet. I also could not imagine that that painting would be the start of a whole collection of hippo paintings. The painting is made with a combination of water colors and ink. I could boast about the fact that I own a real "Jaap Venema", as he is a well known and established artist in the Netherlands, but the story of this painting will always be most important. And it does not matter, even if "Uncle Jaap" will become world famous one day..... this painting will never be for sale!

No comments:

Post a Comment