Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nilpferd

For many years, I would go to the famous Christmas markets (Weinachtsmarkt) in Germany. I have been to the ones in Cologne and Düsseldorf several times. A few months ago, I met a German gentleman, on holidays here, from Dresden. We were chatting away. Already 80 years old, but still traveling around Asia and at home busy with gardening and square dancing. I was telling him how I love German food and about the Christmas markets I visited. But then he told me off (nicely though!), according to him I had not been to the best and greatest Christmas market in Germany..... the one held in Dresden of course! I promised him, if I ever have the chance, I will go there. This hippo, I bought a long time ago at the Christmas maket in Düsseldorf. I remember asking the German name for hippo. To my surprise (why did I not come up with that myself?) it was: Nilpferd.... very simmilar to the Dutch name: Nijlpaard. My friend told me some time ago, that it is also called Flusspferd, or (according to Wikipedia) Großflusspferd. This one is made of soapstone. I have several, carved out of this very smooth feeling material, but it is one of the few "sleeping hippos" of my collection. I hope they will have nice hippos in Dresden too!

No comments:

Post a Comment