Thursday, August 22, 2013

Kuda Nil


Kuda Nil means (Surprise! Surprise!) "Hippopotamus" in Indonesian. A few years ago, I bought this mug in a department store in Jakarta, Indonesia. It a was rather funny event. While walking in, I almost bumped into an enormous pile of these hippo mugs. It made me a bit suspicious, I really thought they had to get rid of them or something. I circled around the pile a few times, but I could not find any evidence of a clearance sale or special promotion going on. Just there, in the middle of the "kitchen-ware-household-department", displayed as newly arrived item. The only thing missing was a sign saying: Get one today! NO household can do without! 

As always (if I have the chance) I bought two of them. I am very lucky I did so. Unfortunately, the quality of these mugs is not very good, the one I used chipped very easily and the color of the paint also faded a bit. So I still have the "spare" one for my collection. I always handle it with extra care. 

In hindsight I should have bought the whole pile, as it would have been great to have shared them with my fellow hippo collectors. But at that time, I did not have the honor to know them. All I can do now, is ask my Indonesian friends to keep an eye out for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment