Thursday, January 12, 2017

Pretty in Pink

Often times, I describe my affection for hippos as a disease. Very serious and incurable (until now). Just recently, I started wondering how long it would take, before I would hear about a therapy/support group, for partners/children of hippo-lovers. Maybe it would be a relief for partners to be into contact with people who understand the stress, of having to bring back a hippo from business trips. The threat of finding the door locked, when coming home without a hippo, is still a joke, but for how long? Or children who understand the embarrassment when a parent buys, wears or drives something hippo in public. What is the best strategy? Sabotage and rebellion, or ignoring and trying to perfect the "become-invisible-act"? Until that day comes, I will treasure these very special occasions like the one I will share with you now. Coming back from my latest hippo-lovers-reunion, my youngest daughter presented me with her surprise, made from air-drying modelling clay. My eldest added the finishing touches, in the form of a bow and mumbled comment: "I like drawing.. not so much this 3D clay stuff".

Of course, sometimes I see their "I don't see this and I don't know her" looks exchange, but as long as I am still spoiled with sweet hippo gifts, I am the happiest hippo-lover-disease sufferer on the planet!



No comments:

Post a Comment