Sunday, January 13, 2019

(Hippo) Love from Lebanon


As tradition dictates, this post should have been called: William, as it is the name of the friend who gave it to me. But this blog already has a: William (see post: William), as it is also the name of the unofficial mascot of the Metropolitan Museum in New York. Although the MET William is very special, it can't compete with the "specialty factor" of this one, so I decided it deserves it's own post name. 


When I met William, I already knew he was (and still is) Lebanese. It took quite some effort not to ask for a hippo right away (knowing him better now, I think he would have found it hilarious). But of course, after a while the pressure became too high and the inevitable question was asked. 








Through the grapevines I heard about several attempts of William to find a hippo in Lebanon, without any luck. I could imagine him going to these craft stores, filled to the rim with carpets and pottery "do you guys have a hippo?" And then the silence... Still makes me chuckle.

The one finding it's way to my bloat, had to be brought all the way to Mongolia... delivered with a huge sigh: "this is the ONLY one!" So, lo and behold, the one and only Lebanese hippo, named William.

Dear William, thank you for going through such an ordeal. Please know, this one will always be very special to me, not only because of its origin and history but mainly because of that kind, wonderful and special person who gave it to me :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment