Thursday, December 29, 2011

Hippe (Potamus) the Hippo-Head

It is really a no-brainer when a hippo-lover meets a ceramic sculpture artist that the conversation will move to hippos at some point. But it was unbelievable that the artist said: “Oh, I made a hippo head, some time ago!” It turned out that this lovely lady had the idea to make this sculpture, before she got to know me…. What are the chances? After seeing “the head” at one of her exhibitions, I decided that my collection would not be complete without it. With my birthday coming up, my dear husband got the hint (subtle, as always… ha ha), so since 2010, I am the proud owner of a with bronze casted hippo head (Hippe Potamus, Anneke, 2006). It has a prominent place, next to our front door, on a small cabinet. A few weeks ago, a friend came to our house, and she said: “I was not sure whether this was the right apartment, but then I saw the hippo, and I knew it had to be!” Thank you Hans, for climbing over our front gate (courtesy of our very burglar-friendly security guards…) that day! Anneke, I am still missing our trips to the flower market and Zoo, not to mention the nougat, snert and haring, but I see Hippe every day, so no chance I’ll ever forget you!

No comments:

Post a Comment