Thursday, December 12, 2013

Kissing Hippos

As I was roaming around in one of my favorite shopping malls in Bangkok (JJ Mall), a funny looking black and white cow drew my attention, and pulled me into a tiny shop full of animal paintings. Not long after, I was ordering a large painting with eight hippos (see post: Hippo Night Watch). While discussing the details, this cow kept staring at me, making me wonder whether they would make a hippo. Of course they would! After a few weeks, I came back to pick up my painting, and my funny looking "cow-look-alike-hippo", who turned out to be orange, like all the hippos in the painting. Then, I saw another hippo (purple) on the ground... next to the cow, that started  it all. "What? You made two hippos?" How could I leave the shop, knowing there was still another hippo left... so I ended up going home with a large painting, and TWO "cut-out-of-hard-board" hippos. I convinced myself, I would find a place for all of them... The purple one had a tail, a bit too tiny for my taste, so that was being fixed on the spot. I did not have the idea about them kissing when I saw them in the shop, but when I had to hang them.... there seemed to be no better way... At the moment they are still packed and stored, as we have moved, and I do not have the space to display them, but who knows, in our next home they will be touching each other again... kissing (or about to...) like in this photo, or maybe switch them around so they will be "touching butts" for a change ;-).


jano_ole@yahoo.co.th

No comments:

Post a Comment