Monday, May 8, 2017

Zulu

My daughter and I were browsing through the last aisle of the outdoor flea market: Elephant's Trunk in Connecticut (from April till September, every Sunday morning). We were a bit tired and ready to go home. I feel it is always like this: either you find little or nothing at all, or you find so many things, you have not enough hands to carry everything back... This was one of those trips, of not finding much.... untill my daughter spotted this beauty, on one of the last tables, next to a pile of African cloths and wooden masks.


He (I thought Zulu is more for a guy?) is handmade by Zulu people (the largest ethnic group in South Africa, with an estimated 10-11 million people living mainly in the province of Kwazulu-Natal (Wikipedia)). I love the colors and the design. The hippos itself is made of wood, the beads are strung in the form of a "suit" around it. My favorite part? No doubt.... his butt!







No comments:

Post a Comment