Thursday, February 6, 2014

Hippopotamus Anonymous

Before you get any funny ideas, there is NO organization that helps hippos with addictions or people having a Hippopotamus Addiction. I am aware of a few rather severe cases, but nothing life threatening ;-). This painting is signed by Ahichun in 2012. Unfortunately, I have never met the artist. I used to visit my friends at the Art Section (Section 7), of the Chatuchak Weekend Market, in Bangkok, Thailand, regularly. In between two streets, they made a kind of communal hang out place. An old table and a few chairs, often unbearably hot and humid... but by far the best place in Bangkok to share snacks, fruits, drinks, laughs and enjoy great company. Next to the chairs are some racks, full with paintings of multi-color (made with oil paint)-elephants. Those paintings were very popular with tourists, and I have seen many of them being sold, but I never saw the painter (a man, so I have been told...). For a long time, I waited to meet him, so I could ask him for a hippo painting in person, but in all those years, that never happened. At some point I gave up. My friend "A", a fellow artist, was so kind to call, place the order and negotiate a nice price. I love this colorful-hippo-family-on-white-canvas-painting...  A little bit: Hippopotamus Anonymous, and much more: Artist Anonymous.

1 comment: