Thursday, June 12, 2014

Looking Like An Egyptian

In Dutch, hippos are called: Horses of the Nile. I am sure the artist was inspired by their origin, before putting some eye liner on this mum, making her look like an Egyptian queen.

I have this wooden hippo in many different sizes, two large sized (size of a football) mum and dad, two teenagers and two babies. I bought them at the Phat Pong Night Market in Bangkok, Thailand. The place to be if you are looking for fake watches and bags, visit the go go bars or (apparently) want to buy a hippo family. I think the owner of the souvenirs shop saw the golden opportunity to get rid of all his hippos at once... looking at the layers of dust and dirt, I figured he must have had them for a while. To make a long story short, the price for one hippo was about the same as for the whole bloat. Needless to say, I hauled the whole family home. 

I thought about putting them all together in one "family photo", but it just did not come out the way I liked it. After trying different things, I liked this "Mum-and-Dad-Kiss" best. Of course, I did not take this photograph in front of the kids...., we would not want them to witness that, now would we? 



No comments:

Post a Comment