Thursday, June 5, 2014

Bangkok's Beauties

Thought it is time for another painting, and another first. Not my first painting (see post: Hippos by Jaap Venema), but my first hippo painting ordered in Bangkok, Thailand, in 2010. This was before I met all my friends at the art section of the Chatuchak (JJ) Weekend Market, and before I would have many more paintings made. As we had lived in Bangkok before, I was very happy to be back at my most favorite place to shop. I came across a tiny open-front-shop where a lady was sitting on the ground, painting away. Mostly elephants, decorated with pretty flowers. I sat down next to her, going through her photo book of her work. I took my time, because I was enjoying the cool breeze from the fan. It gave me a good excuse to escape the sweltering heat and humidity for a while. As expected, no hippos in her book so I asked her if she could paint hippos. Of course she could. Then the conversation became a bit difficult, as she did speak little English, and I couldn't (and still can't...) speak Thai. So I pointed at one of her other paintings, saying I would love to have the same color as background. The rest was up to her. The result: a beautiful painting of a hippo mum with her two babies, pretty flowers and all. Now, the thing is... I can find her shop, but I can't explain to anybody how to get there. If I ever come back to JJ Weekend Market, I will look for her, ask her name card, and put the information below. Every time I passed the shop, it was busy, so I think she is doing well. But it would have been nice for her to know, after today, many more people can see and enjoy her work.


1 comment:

  1. I may be crazy but I think I resemble the brown one. Love, Love LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete