Thursday, May 29, 2014

Central Park Zoo

Believe the "Madagascar-Movies" and the Central Park Zoo in New York City would have a lion, giraffe, zebra and a hippo. Unfortunately they do not. They do have penguins... so who knows what a few of them are doing when the gates are closed? Of course, I am a bit disappointed about the fact that I can't visit Gloria, but it is a very nice Zoo. The perfect place to relax. While strolling around, you almost forget that you are in the middle of Manhattan. Just outside the main gate (close to ticket boots) you can find many artists making portraits. Also, a lot of vendors selling ice cream and hot dogs, and the "latest-must-bring-home-I-Love-NY-souvenirs". In between all of them, a man is selling hand carved animal figurines. How happy was I to see he had made a whole bloat of hippos. All made out of different colored stone. I asked him whether he would take any orders, for a custom carved (in my case, larger) hippo. He smiled and said: "No! My wife does not allow me to do that, because she knows how stressed I become. And she is right, it gives me way too much stress, to have it ready on time, and to the customer's satisfaction." He looked so guilty, poor guy. I quickly told him, that I was happy to give these four a new home. So, here is my insider's tip: when you have visited the Zoo, or happen to be in that area, look out for him. Animal lovers (and hippo-lovers in particular) will find something nice, for sure. No hippos at the Zoo... but very, very close by :-). 


2 comments:

  1. I love those! The faces are great. Quite the find Lien. Enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice hippos indeed. . .did you see the hippo playing the violin statue? I haven't but my daughter has seen it. . .

    ReplyDelete