Thursday, April 30, 2015

Matryoshka Hippo

It has been a while, but I am delighted to share another "First" today! Last weekend, after spending another wonderful day in New York, I saw this table set up on the side walk. Very close to the famous toy store FAO Schwarz and Apple HQ, on 5th Avenue. A man was selling Matryoshka dolls (also known as Russian nesting dolls). I could not believe my eyes. In the middle of a row of babushkas, cats and snowmen... I saw a hippo! At first I was excited, but then I was a bit taken aback, because the hippo looks so angry. I told my daughter I was not sure... Her reply: "But it is a hippo mommy!" And she was right. I never saw one before. I just checked on line, only to find images of a few. They all have the grumpy look in common. So, my mission now is to find another set... of cute and happy looking, smiling hippos!

2 comments:

  1. Tanking economy, falling oil prices, no wonder those matroska hippo dolls are looking grumpy!
    Very nice blog Lien. Once again you can find those hippos. But when I go out, they seem to be running away from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a set that are pretty nice, colorful and not grumpy. . .will post picture on FB. . .HH

    ReplyDelete