Thursday, September 5, 2013

Flea Market Find

It is time for another: First! This lovely marble hippo figurine is my very first flea market find! I love roaming around at flea markets, always on the look out for hippos. But they are not easy to find. I remember the guy asking seven and a half Dutch guilders for it (pre-Euro-era... a very long time ago, indeed ;-)). I also remember that it was one of my first bargaining attempts. As I had no idea what I wanted to pay, I simply told the guy it was too expensive. "OK, five guilders then (around five US$)" the guy said. I was so happy! Finally, I found a hippo... and I (sort of) bargained!! The only "problem" with this figurine is that the head is heavier than its body, so it does not take much to make it tilt forward. I just realized it is also my first hippo made of marble. A "double-first-hippo". I don't have many of those.


1 comment: