Thursday, September 26, 2013

Soap or Bacon?

These two hand carved hippos from Kenya, are made out of talc. In this form better known in English as Soapstone. I do not know when or where I bought them. The only thing I can remember is that they came from Christmas markets in Germany, just like the previously posted sleeping hippo (see post: Nilpferd), but of which city or cities, I forgot. If I feel figurines (especially large ones) made out of this particular stone, it is not too difficult for me to imagine why it is called Soapstone. This made me wonder why in Dutch it is called "Speksteen", which would translate as "Bacon-stone" to English. I don't see or feel anything "bacon" about them.... It could be that the smoothness of the stone, made Dutch people think of a piece of greasy bacon? Maybe the color? Maybe they were hungry, and thought of food all the time? Food for thought, I would say. I am sure, these two hippos do not care whether they are made out of soap or bacon, as long as it is the stone, which makes them look beautiful, forever!


No comments:

Post a Comment