Thursday, October 3, 2013

Kong Fu Po

Every collector knows that "the find" can show up at any, and often, most unexpected places. A long time ago, I was doing some grocery shopping in an "Asian Supermarket". A rather dodgy looking place, with freezers scattered all over the place and only a few working tube lights. But it was the best place to find a great assortment of Indonesian chilly pastes, frozen shrimps and egg noodles. While zigzagging around freezers and piles of boxes, I found this hippo, just sitting there, between the bottles of oyster sauce and "long-life" noodles. Made in China, and lost? It was a very surreal sight, I could not believe my eyes. It looks rather fancy but it is made of a very light-weight kind of plastic. If it were ceramic and larger, it could easily have been the center piece of my collection, because the details and colors are quite nice. Now, it is part of the "plastic-pod"... standing out, because it is definitely the most beautiful plastic-y one. Maybe I should create a "curiosity-pod"... first member: Kong Fu Po. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey, how come you get so lucky? I go with my wife to Asian supermarkets and I do not see such stuff!

    ReplyDelete