Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Big Six

In my post "Kiboko" (hand carved ebony hippo figurine), I mentioned that my friends also brought a hippo-painting back from their home leave in Tanzania. They told me that the artist sold many paintings of the so called: Big Five. The Big Five refers to the five greatest wild animals of Africa: the lion, African elephant, Cape buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros. Some people claim that a safari is not a safari, unless you have seen all of them. The fact that hippos are not part of the Big Five, together with the fact that most African people do not like hippos, could explain why my friends could not find any painting with a hippo. They were so sweet to order one for me. I remember they told me they had to do so many last minute errands, including picking up this painting. So happy they did! I had it framed in a shop in Banani Bazar, Dhaka, Bangladesh, making it a very "international" piece of art. Dear Didi and Mr. Bo, I love it very much. Not only because of the cute looking hippos, but also because of many fond memories it brings back, every time I see it. If you ever hear of a campaign to get the hippo join the Big Five, please let me know! I will gladly support: The Big Six!

1 comment:

  1. Funny how you mentioned people in Africa don't like hippos. My friends went to Egypt. The locals said hippo were big stupid animals, good for nothing. LOSERS!!!!

    Hippos be like "Suck it!" Hippo power!

    ReplyDelete