Thursday, January 2, 2014

Marbelous Three

Epiphany, or Three Kings Day, will be celebrated this year on Monday January sixth. I remember celebrating it once, in elementary school in The Netherlands, a very long time ago... The teacher made a cake with a dried bean hidden inside. The person finding the bean, would be "the king" for the rest of the day. I still remember the name of my classmate finding the bean. Wikipedia is mentioning "the king" getting a paper crown... but I can't remember whether he got that or not. In France, they put a (usually porcelain) trinket in the cake, calling it a bean. Obviously too fancy for "down-to-earth-Northern-Dutch-people". I think the rewards were: bragging rights (about finding the bean) and probably a sticker :-). It is a bit hard to explain how you get from Three Kings Day to hippos... I think the number three is to blame for the association when I saw this picture. I did not get these marble figurines all at once, but when displayed, they always stand together because they look so similar. Who gave them, or how I got them, I have no idea. I called this post: Marbelous Three. Three (hippo) Kings and Three Wise Hippos, also crossed my mind, but how do you explain that???


No comments:

Post a Comment